Friday, July 3, 2009

Pickin'

Yesterday evening we went and picked cherries. Timothy liked playing in the dirt beneath the trees while we were picking cherries and putting the cherries in the bucket. Christine liked helping however she could. Her favorite part was carrying the bucket (until it got to heavy).














Christine had never eaten a sweet cherry before. Before we headed out we washed one and let her try it. We forgot to mention that their was a pit in it and she took a big bite right into the pit. It took a little convincing to get her to try another one. Now she loves them!




Next it was off to pick blueberries. I think Tim enjoyed the actual picking part better with the blueberries because he could reach them. He never did get the hang of only picking the ripe ones.





I really enjoyed going to pick our own fruit. It is very satisfying to me. Seeing how fruits and veggies grow is fascinating. I only wish we could have picked longer so we could get more. Hopefully this will become a tradition as long as we live here and we will get to go pick every year. In the fall we can pick grapes and apples!


I spent most of the rest of the evening washing the fruits of our labors. Tomorrow we are going to have french toast with blueberries and strawberries (in honor of the 4th), and vanilla ice cream with cherries, mmm. I also found a great (and easy) cobbler recipe to make with the cherries. Speaking of cobbler, anyone want to go camping...

No comments: