Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Did you pack the...




I was so excited to go to my parents house this past week. To tell you the truth I had everything packed and ready to go at least a week in advance. I pulled out too small church clothes for the kids to wear the week before we left, just so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting anything. I knew I had to pack light. Fitting everything for 5 people in a small car is a challenge. Fitting that much stuff in a small car for 10 days is even more of a challenge. And we were camping on the way out, so that through in another obstacle. the night before I could hardly sleep. I haven't seen my sister in years. She had a baby shortly before Daniel and I hadn't seen him yet. We had so much to catch up on. Plus my little brother was coming home from his mission. I really didn't sleep much the night before. I felt like a little kid on Christmas Eve.



The morning finally arrived. I got up early to finish a few last minute things. Then I got the kids fed and dressed and we were out the door. After a quick stop for gas we were on our way. The first part of the trip was great. It was early so very little traffic. The kids weren't sick of the car yet so they were content to set and look out the window. Eventually, they fell asleep. We were almost to Spokane when Jer turned to me and said, "did you remember to pack our pillows?" That sinking feeling hit me. I had forgot the pillows and blankets. Luckily, I had packed the kids favorite blankets in the car and a pillow for them the night before. But, nothing for Jer and I. it wouldn't have been a big deal except, we were camping.



About the time we hit Spokane we decided to put in a movie for the kids. The movie player wouldn't work. We tried everything. A 14 hour drive with only a few toys and 2 books for 3 young children...the thought was more than we could take. After stopping at Cabella's (were Jer had fun spending his birthday money) we went to WalMart and bought a new DVD player and a blanket.



We learned on the trip that Daniel does not travel well. I think it is partly his age. It's hard when you can't walk. Even when we stopped he was stuck sitting in a high chair, or a shopping cart. We did try to find places for him to crawl around, but it wasn't enough. It's a good thing we got that new DVD player and we brought along Curious George. At least that kept his attention for a little while.




We camped at Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park. Just in case you didn't know it's cold at night in Montana. Even in August. It was in the low 40s. When Jer and I pulled out the blanket we bought it was much thinner than we thought. Yup, we froze. At least it was a pretty camping spot. Due to our having to stop more than planned and having to go shopping for a new DVD player and a blanket, we weren't able to go to the caverns like we had planned.


After letting the kids play at the camp site playground we left the next morning. By this time we all felt kind of gross. Being in the car for a day makes you feel gross, but add camping to that and you've got really gross.




We had a little better trip the second day. We stopped in Billings at the temple. One more we can add to our list of temple we have seen as a family. Then we had lunch and went to...Cabella's! Yes, again. It was great! My kids saw more different animals coming and going on this trip than I think I did in all my childhood travels combined. At least mine were all living!



We knew we were going to get to my parents house before they got back from Canada. They were picking up my brother from his mission. So we stopped and went Christmas shopping for them and my little sister. It was nice to get there before them. We arrived just in time to feed the kids, let them play for a little while and then put them to bed. After a much needed shower Jer and I set out "presents" and hung up a welcome home sign for Hyrum (which I never did get a picture of). Then we had time to snooze on the couch before they got there.


to be continued...



No comments: