Wednesday, September 29, 2010

If I could take a Trip...

The humid air, the unpredictable weather, the slow moving lifestyle. it's all part of a past that seems to gradually becoming a fading memory. I grew up in a small town in Kansas. One rich with history. The fork of the rivers is where a peace treaty between the U.S. and five indian tribes was signed. They have an outdoor amphitheatre where every 5 years this is reenacted. Along with other historically important events of the area.

When I was in high school we would run cross country at the amphitheatre. My dad would borrow a tractor and mow a path through the tall grass so we could host a cross country meet there. Once while running there during a practice a deer jumped out from behind some tall grass and I thought I was going to get hit by it. I guess that is why when September hits I not only think of football and pumpkins, i think of indian dancing and running down long country roads.
If I could hop on an airplane and go somewhere for a few days, I'd go to Kansas. I'd take early morning runs down long country roads. Maybe ending at a creek that I could jump in and cool off. I'd go get doughnuts from Daylight donuts. I'd play at the park. I'd go to the Peace Treaty grounds and let the wind whisper through my hair while imagining the sound of indian drums being played in the distance. I'd drive to the farmer's pond and go fishing. I'd go to Raykies and get a shake and then take a drive through the gyp hills.
Then I'd go to Wichita and see all my friends and visit the zoo.


This walk down memory lane was inspired by our weekend activities. We went to Frontier Days and the kids got to dress up like mountain men. Tim thought it was pretty cool to hold a tomahawk. We saw some indians dance and listened to the drums.

















Daniel tried his first taste of rice cereal this week. He likes it. Mostly he just likes sitting at the table with everyone. He is growing up too fast!












No comments: