Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Price Check in the Pen Aisle, Blah, Blah, and Running

A few Days ago I took both the kids with me to Wal-Mart. Tim is not good at sitting in the cart. Even when he is seat belted in. He manages some way to get it up around his neck or get twisted in it. Unfortunately, the cart we got had a broken seat belt. I decided that since I only needed a few items I would go without one. Back to school is a hard time for me not to spend money. I love crayons, pens, notebooks, all those things. They are so cheap right now. I decided that I really did NEED some notebooks so I started picking out notebooks. Discovering that the one I picked out was slightly bent I stepped across the aisle to pick another one. Christine's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Mommy look at Timmy." Then Tim starts to cry. I turn around to find Tim literally hanging from the shelf. His left arm was over a hook. He was wearing overalls and they managed to get snagged on another hook. His right arm was also wedged between some hooks. He was kicking frantically. One of his little crocks half off from desperately trying to get away. He was crying and pens were everywhere. I quickly unhooked him and put a few of the pens away. Someone was coming so I kicked the rest out of the way and left the aisle. When we were safely away I explained to Tim that is why we do not stand in the cart. I was grateful the hooks caught him. That would have been a long fall if he had gone forward out of the cart. Falling into the pen display was safer. He only has a small scratch by his eye.

Jer mentioned the other day that I say blah,blah, blah to much. I didn't think I used it very much. Yesterday I decided I must when I heard Christine singing Blah, Blah, Black sheep Have you Any Wool.

I've been a runner for a long time. I enjoy running in or near nature. I am not a fan of running on tracks. I have been running on the treadmill and using the elliptical several times a week. A friend of mine (who is not a runner) has motivated me to start being more consistent with my running. To set some running goals and achieve them. Yesterday I decided I had had enough treadmill for awhile. I can do it when it gets cold. I got out the pull behind (which is also a stroller) loaded up that kids and we ran to the river. It's a little over 2 miles there. Their is a trail all along the river. I ran and pushed the kids for awhile down the trail and then we stopped so I could get them a snack. We watched a pelican land on the water (the kids couldn't get over how close it got to us and how big it was). Christine told me all the colors of the dragons (dragon flies), and we listened to the river splash against the rocks. I felt content, tired, but content. I decided that I wanted to start running to some part of the river several times a week. The kids enjoy riding in the pull behind. It does make it a little harder to run, but not much. I could do this! I was actually feeling excited about running up the hill home. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. As I started to run I heard a strange sound. Looking down I saw a flat tire. A very flat tire. Needless to say I did not run home. I couldn't enjoy the view from the top of the hill, because I didn't run up it.
When we got home carrying the pull behind with it's completely deflated tire up the stairs I felt deflated. The kids were hot, and it was nap time so they were cranky. I was disappointed and frustrated. While I was putting the kids in bed I got to thinking. Maybe the hill I need to run up is getting past obstacles. I let little things ruin my plans. Am I really going to let a little goat face sticker cause me to not achieve my goals? Maybe it's time I prove to those hills I can run up them. As soon as I can I will get that tire fixed! Just you wait hill I'll run up you yet! I will run to the top, the view is to great to not enjoy.

To Do
*Check for working seat belt on shopping cart
*Remove blah, blah, blah from vocabulary
*fix tire
*run up the hill!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed my summer as I have had the opportunity to run 5-6 days a week. There are times I dread the training part (because i HAVE to push myself to a certain distance and can't just go for a normal run) but being out in nature has been great.

Glad Tim didn't take too big of a fall!!

Steph said...

I'm sorry but I did laugh at your description of little Tim hanging from the hooks on the pen display! I'm glad he didn't fall or get hurt. You're so awesome though Kaysi, I can't wait to hear how great the view from the top of the hill is, cause I know you'll do it! You go girl!!

Jan said...

Oh the memories of the cart. It is like a amusement ride on wheels for kids. But your description was hilarious. Sorry. Not funny at the time, but it did make me laugh.

You have some great thoughts here. The blah blah black sheep, they do listen huh. Keep on climbing. You are doing a great job as a mother.