Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vintage Toys


I never thought I would be the type that would care about toys. We always had mismatched toys growing up. I never had a barbie car. I used My brothers big foot truck instead. Instead of a fancy plastic doll house Santa brought me a beautiful wood doll house. It had removable floors so I could play with my bears or my barbies in it. It even had an elevator. Santa is a smart man! The furniture was carefully painted pieces of wood. The table was an old spool of thread with a metal lid on top. I made little blankets for the beds. I would find things around to use for furniture. I still have some of the furniture in a box with my bears. I think the bears came with furniture but it's long since been lost. My bears are missing their clothes and some of their fur. I took them out of the house to much. One summer I took them all with me to a family reunion at my grandparents house in New Mexico. I lost the baby (which isn't pictured). Several years later when we were setting up the croquet set to play a game I found it in the bottom of the container the croquet pieces were stored in at grandma's house. From then on I called the baby croquet.

I never realized until just recently that they are made because of a cartoon called Maple Town. I guess I was to busy watching the Smurfs to see it on TV. Now their is a similar toy called the Calico collection. They come out with a new animal every year. I might have to look into getting them for Christine.

Christine's already developed a great imagination. She has a new imaginary friend or grandparent to play with every day. She has nightmares about spiders under her bed. She is terrified to get out of bed so she calls for me to come. I spray them (using the water in Christine's hair bottle) and they go away. Her stuffed dog barks at them and scares them away too. I've got her trained to have the dog bark and she can spray herself so it means less trips to her bedroom at night. Tim usually sleeps through it all. So if you ever hear Christine barking at night, just know the spiders are running away.

My favorite toys were the fisher price little people sets. I still like the little people sets they have, but the old ones were fantastic. My mom was the nursery leader in when I was about 4/5 and they had the castle. I loved it when the kids got to play with the castle because I might get to play with it for a few minutes while my mom was setting up or cleaning up. My mom has pieces of some of the ones pictured about, but not whole sets anymore. I'm sure that is partly my fault. I had a bad habit of taking toys outside. Their was so much more adventure for the little people out there.


I'm interested in buying some for a present for Christmas so if anyone happens to see any of these somewhere for sale for a decent price let me know. I would love to buy them. Especially the train set! I can find all of these items on eBay, but they are expensive by the time you pay for shipping. So I will keep looking. Do you have a toy that you played with that you would love to play with again?







P.S. Santa if you happen to read this, add one of these to your list.




















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had all those toys growing up!!! So fun to see pictures of them and remember my memories of playing with them with my siblings and neighbor friends! :)

Ashlee said...

I LOVED the little bears..we had elephants and monkeys too! AND the Vintage Little People toys..we had the airport, zoo, train, old western town, barn..and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It's fun to see pics! Mom has them now..and won't let me have them..they are staying at Grandma's! I have the new ones for my kids..but it's just not the same!