Thursday, September 6, 2012

Never Park your Car on the Street!

Opps, I forgot to finish posting about our trip.  Here is some more.  I'll post the last of it in another post so it won't be to long. 

Wed morning came.  I was planning on taking my kids to temple square and to see all the new changes that have been made since we lived there.  I wanted to stop by our old apartment complex and go wading at a fun park we used to go to regularly.  None of that happened.  Shortly after breakfast someone knocked on my brother and sister-in-laws door.  My sister-in-law was busy and my brother was at work.  My niece said she didn't recognize the person so at first I was tempted to ignore the knock.  However, when I looked out and saw a mother holding a baby I reconsidered.  The lady had come to tell me that she accidentally hit my car.  She had already called the cops.  At first it didn't look to bad.  I figured I could still use the car and then get it fixed back in Washington.  Then my sister-in-law suggested that I make sure I could open the driver side door.  It wouldn't open.  After waiting for over half an hour for a cop I was finally able to get the information I needed to call her insurance company and start getting the ball rolling to get the car fixed.  For some reason we were NOT supposed to go to temple square that day. 

Luckily, for us their was an opening to get the car looked at and get an estimate that day.  It gave us just enough time to run to Cabella's for a little while and then take the car in.  While driving I realized that their was more damage than I thought to the car.  It pulled badly to the right and I was glad I didn't have to drive it to much that day.  It must have been quit a sight to onlookers to see me get all three kids in the car and buckled and then climb in the passenger side door and slide over to the drivers side.  When we got out by the time I slid over and climbed out Tim and Christine were already waiting beside the car for me.  We were a few minutes late for our appointment, but the people ahead of us had a VERY damaged car and it took them longer than their appointment time so we ended up waiting.  Luckily, we had some of the apricots we had helped pick the day before.  We snacked on those while we waited.  The man that helped us was very nice.  He even bent something back into place so I could open the drivers side door.  He helped us find a place to get our car fixed while we continued on our trip.  We finally ate lunch at 2:30.  Dropped the car off at the repair shop at 3:45.  I think they wanted to hurry and get the kids out of their waiting area.  At first they told me it would be awhile before someone could look over the car again and get me the paperwork.  The kids were building a huge tower out of magazines and the few blocks they had.  I let them each have one piece of the candy they had on the counter, but Daniel kept sneaking over there while I was filling out the paper work and taking some.  I found some in his pocket later and one in Tim's.  I guess they felt like we were in the way because they had us out the door 10 minutes later.  They had someone ride over in my car to Jer's aunt and uncles house.  That was a little awkward.  With three car seats taking up the entire back seat he had to sit up front.  He had tattoos and earrings.  His hair cut was...wild.  I kept wanting to ask him if he didn't get enough attention at home, but decided to be kind instead.  He helped me unload all of our stuff onto the drive way.  We usually don't allow eating in the car, but on a trip by myself that rule was voided for my sanity's sake.  It was a mess!   A few minuted before 5 I was finally able to sit down and relax. 

Aunt Kathy and Uncle Richard were so kind.  They helped me out with the kids.  Fed us grilled chicken and twice baked potatoes.  It was so yummy!  Uncle Richard took the kids for a ride on the four wheeler (which they loved!).  It was a nice way to end the day.

Thursday morning my parents picked us up and we started our drive to New Mexico.  We stopped in Moab.  Every time we go through that area I want to stop and go hiking.  I've never actually been to arches National park, although I've driven right past it a dozen or more times.  Someday I will!  We pointed out the temple in Monticello so the kids could add that one to the ones they have seen.


We arrived at my sisters house in New Mexico in time to eat dinner, change clothes, and head to the viewing. 

  

No comments: